Good Food Reads

Monday, June 13, 2011

Call it a Home-made Catsup or Ketchup Recipe, but don't call it off!

When My Husband and I were dating he owned a small bakery and he made olive bread. Kalamata Olive Bread with a K, to be exact. There was only one problem. He spelled it with a "C". The sacred Kalmata olive being downgraded to calamata?  What was his problem?  Couldn't he spell?  Was he illiterate? Red flags were popping up,...
and my neurons were firing rapidly.  He owned his own business but he had thousands of labels with kalamata spelled wrong. Oh my goodness!  My small world was closing in on me. Later however, I looked into it a bit and confirmed that it is also spelled with a "C" so,  I married him.  However, on the thirty seconds of reseach done for this post I realized I was right!  Kalamata is a Greek port, and that is where the name comes from. Some less than precise European importer centuries back started spelling it wrong, and perpetuated the mis-spelling. Now both are accepatable. Cool side note though, I did just join a facebook page called Kalamata olives are spelled with a K! 
My point?Is it Ketchup or Catsup?
I still don't know, even after four minutes of research! Let's not get caught up in the semantics.  From experience I realize it's a pitfall.  Let's call the whole thing off and just agree that HOME-MADE CATCHUP is really TASTY!  HERE is a fabulous recipe by THE CHEMIST.
Lacto-Fermented Catsup/Ketchup
3 cups organic tomato paste
¼ cup whey
1 tablespoon sea salt
½ cup honey
4 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
2 tbsp fish sauce
(1/2 tsp allspice or clove optional)


The important part of this recipe is that you add the whey, and then leave it setting out for 2 days to ferment,I left it in a jar but I am partial to glass containers.  That is what makes it lacto-fermented and that is where all the health benefits come from.




P.S. When I made it, I used allspice and it gave it a good depth of flavor.  Even my kids palate was not too disrupted by the hint of something a little more sophisticated in their catsup, but you may want to omit some ingredients for super picky eaters.  The important part of this recipe is that you add the whey, and then leave it setting out for 2 days to ferment,  so you get all the good bacteria that will help your gut. They say that your gut is your second brain, so I am trying to treat it better than I have during those ignorant years.  I can not believe the difference fermenting my food has been making this past little while in my digestion.  
Enthusiastically Yours,










Salty Saint



No comments:

Post a Comment